Friday, June 28, 2013

"Last Kiss" Song Meaning

Today's Taylor Swift song is "Last Kiss" from her Speak Now album.


This song tells the story of a great love and how the boy just left and she doesn't understand why.  How she never thought their last kiss would be their last kiss, "I never thought we'd have a last kiss/Never imagined we'd end like this."

Who is this song about?

The hint comes in the liner notes, FOREVER AND ALWAYS.  "Forever and Always" was the name of a song from Taylor's "Fearless" album and that song was about Joe Jonas.  "Last Kiss" is about Joe Jonas!

Taylor said on her website, "The song 'Last Kiss' is sort of like a letter to somebody. You say all of these desperate, hopeless feelings that you have after a breakup. Going through a breakup you feel all of these different things. You feel anger, and you feel confusion, and frustration. Then there is the absolute sadness. The sadness of losing this person, losing all the memories, and the hopes you had for the future. There are times when you have this moment of truth where you just admit to yourself that you miss all these things. When I was in one of those moments I wrote this song."

She treasured their love, was so excited for it, "I do recall now the smell of the rain/I ran off the plane/The beat of your heart/It jumps through your shirt/I can still feel your arms." She contrasts this with sitting "on the floor/Wearing your clothes/All that I know is/I don't know how to be something you miss/I never thought we'd have a last kiss/Never imagined we'd end like this/Your name, forever the name on my lips."  What she had with Joe Jonas was special, but he didn't treasure it like she did. She "never planned on you [Joe] changing your mind." He did change his mind and in the moment she wrote this song she missed him.  For the story of their breakup, check out "Forever and Always". 

Click here for lyrics to the song, "Last Kiss".

4 comments:

  1. I used to think this song was a bit boring, but then my boyfriend stopped talking to me and 3 months later i still miss him and i relate to this song s much! especially "all that i know if i don't know how to be something you miss"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a guy do this to me before (he was my best friend, and we dated off and on for over a year, both official and not official), and just out of the blue he stopped talking to me 2 months ago, and this song really relates. I didn't think the last kiss him and I had would be the last, and I don't even know why he left, and stopped talking to me

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...