Wednesday, June 10, 2015

"I Know Places" Song Meaning

Today's Taylor Swift song is the meaning of "I Know Places" from her 1989 album.

When I first heard this song I thought it was probably the least relatable song on the 1989 album. The whole concept of the song is the paparazzi and press are these vultures "circling", with cages, boxes and guns that take shots at her. "They are the hunters, we are the foxes".  Taylor has lived her life under the spotlight for years and her every move is tracked. This kind of life sounds crazy.  I can not imagine someone tracking my EVERY move, and twisting all the words I say. She is a pro at dealing with it, a pro.  In the Rolling Stone article form September 2014 she says, 'There's someone whose entire job it is to figure out things that I don't want the world to see. They look at your career, they look at what you prioritize, and they try to figure out what would be the most revealing or hurtful." I can't even imagine what that would be like.  I really can't believe there are people out there like that.  Why do they have to make her life harder?  She is a person too right?

Who is this song about?

Taylor Swift and Harry Styles in Central Park in December 2012, Taylor is wearing a foxes sweater...
Yes I tried to mislead you with the picture, this song is not about Harry Styles.  Taylor says in her song by song analysis.  "This is a song about how other people will really ruin a relationship if they get a chance to, and how it might be the best way to go about starting a relationship to keep it a secret as possible, just because it's very fragile. I think that this was a song that I wrote about sort of how covert it would have to be in order for me to ever make something work eventually."

Interestingly enough he wrote a song about Taylor in rebuttal to her album, "Perfect".  Click here for the meaning of that song.

In June 2015 she told Elle magazine, " 'I figured the way that they’d be able to relate to 'I Know Places' is like when you’re in high school and start dating someone and you really like him. And you go to your friends, 'Oh my God, I like this guy!' And they’re like, ‘Who?’ And you’re like, ‘Trevor.’ And they’re like, ‘Trevor’s, like, a weirdo emo kid, I heard his parents are swingers… Oh my God, why are you talking to Trevor? Trevor paints his nails with a Sharpie…’ And you’re like, ‘But I like Trevor.’ And then all of a sudden, people tell everybody, ‘Oh my God, Stacy likes Trevor! Oh my God, that’s so weird—maybe we shouldn’t hang out with Stacy anymore.’ It’s the same dichotomy of what happens to me when I’m like, ‘I like this guy.’ And they’re like, ‘Oh Taylor, no! Not him.’ I felt on some level we go through the same stupid social complexities. And I just knew that I’m not the only one who goes through that, that’s not unique to my situation. And I always wanted to write about foxes, to be honest. When I came up with that line—’They are the hunters, we are the foxes and we run’—I was just like, ‘This is going on the album no matter what. Foxes? Check.’ And they like that line, so I’m happy about that.’ "

After I read this quote I realated to this song more.  There was an instance in college where I liked a boy and I think he liked me too, but then his friends made fun of him and boom all of the sudden he was scared.  I can only imagine this is what happened with Harry Styles.  They were jetsetting around the world, Park City, New York City, LA, London, tropical vacations.  They were just in the spotlight too much and EVERYBODY recognized them and reported them.  Their every move was tracked.

Taylor took a very long time off dating, but I am SO GLAD that she decided to give dating a second chance, she looks so happy with Calvin Harris now.  They seem to be taking their relationship slower and more out of the spotlight, which is incredibly good for them.  Good luck Taylor and Calvin, I'm cheering for you and I hope you have found all the right places to get that fire burning strong!

Calvin is in the following picture, but guess where they are? Not in the public eye, but in her kitchen, building that strong connection away from the public eye!

2 comments:

  1. What about "In the dead of night, your eyes so green" part. Harry has green eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, Karlie Kloss has hazel eyes which change the color at different times of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...