Saturday, September 8, 2012

"Ronan" Song Meaning

This post is about the song titled “Ronan”, don't read this if you don't want to cry. Taylor Swift wrote the song “Ronan” about a little boy who died of cancer named Ronan.  He lived in Phoenix.  Taylor connected and became friends with Ronan's mother Maya Thompson after she read her blog. Ronan died a few days before he was four from neuroblastoma, a cancer that affects the nervous system.


Taylor performed the song Ronan at the Stand Up to Cancer marathon September 7, 2012. You can buy the song on Itunes and you can also make donations to Ronan's foundation.
After she performed it she was in tears.  How sweet, it shows that she truly cares about what she is doing.

Taylor shed tears after leaving the venue.
Taylor with her mother

Maya's reaction to the song was powerful, thankful and intense.
"I couldn’t even focus on the words that were coming out of Taylor’s mouth. I could see was the raw emotion, sadness, beauty, and pain that filled her face. She looked like an angel."

“Those lyrics. My words. She got them so perfectly right. Every single little detail about your life and your death. The way she portrayed my grieving, broken heart. “Flowers pile up in the worst way, no one knows what to say…” All the little details, meant so much to me. She was the one meant to sing your song. Nobody else, could have made it complete and utter magic while filling it with such raw sadness and beauty. I truly believe you picked her to do this, Ronan. There  is a reason she could not forget about you and your big blue eyes, that is beyond just Taylor and myself. I truly believe this is all you and Taylor listening to heart, which has turned this song into what I think, is the best song of her life. I am so moved by her and the vulnerability she displayed while singing this song. That took it to an entirely different level for me."

"Thoughts of Taylor fill my head and the gift of eternal life she has just given to us, fill me with a bittersweet calmness that I’m not used to feeling anymore. That is the gift she has given to us. A way to keep you alive in the hearts of millions, that I would have never been able to reach. She is giving so many, the gift of you and our story, that is so worthy of knowing. The story of true love and how powerful it can be when it comes from such a pure place. How good things can come from the worst thing imaginable happening if one chooses to gather strength from it, instead of letting it destroy them like it can so easily do."

As a mother I really relate to this song.  It would be devastating to find out one day that your child has cancer and may possibly die.  One of the lines that stood out to me was "You were my best four years", and "And what if the miracle was even getting One moment with you?" It shows me the mother truly treasures each and every moment she had with her son. Instead of focusing on why did he went (she does ask that in one line), she treasures the time she had with him and relishes the memories. Most of the song focuses on memories.

Click here for the lyrics, "Ronan"

Taylor singing the song:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...