Friday, September 21, 2012

"Teardrops On My Guitar" Song Meaning

Today's Taylor Swift song, the meaning of "Teardrops On My Guitar" from her debut album, "Taylor Swift".
photo courtesy of http://www.myspace.com/taylorswift
This is the first song that turned me into a Taylor Swift fan. I would hear it on the radio and say to myself, "I like that song." I didn't know who she was at first and didn't really start following her music for a couple of years, but I loved the song when I heard it. This song is a little bit like "You Belong To Me", but is less confident than "You Belong To Me." It is your 'friend' talking to you about the girl he likes and him not realizing that you like him. It just devastates you and you cry when he is not around. How many girls has this happened to? I think every girl I know! It is so heartbreaking and you just want the guy to read your mind and like you too and stop talking about that girl.

Who is this song about? She explicitly says his name in the song, Drew.

Drew Hardwick was a boy she was friends with in high school.  They had a science class together and he would always talk to Taylor about his girlfriend.  Ugh. Two years after the song was released Drew showed up at Taylor's house, but maybe not with the best intentions.



photo courtesy of http://www.myspace.com/taylorswift
“He showed up at my house when I was leaving to go to a hockey game with Kellie and Carrie [Underwood]. This car pulls up and two guys get out, and one of them is Drew. I hadn't talked to him in two-and-a-half years. He was like: Hey, how's it going?' And I'm like: 'Wow, you're late? Good to see you?' But we were civilized. I have theories about what he was doing. He had his friend with him, so maybe he was trying to prove to people that the song really is about him or whatever. Or maybe he was really trying to be friends. Or maybe he thought I was still pining away from him. Whatever!" (Taylor Swift)

A little extra trivia:  The message in the liner notes says, "HE WILL NEVER KNOW".  He did find out, but it was too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...