Friday, October 19, 2012

"Dear John" Song Meaning

Today's Taylor Swift song is the meaning of "Dear John" from her "Speak Now" album.


I like this song, but I don't like the person the song is about so I have been avoiding writing about this song. But it does need to be included. This song makes me think of all the stupid guys I knew before I met my husband, the ones that would constantly play games with my head. I am SO glad I found my husband.

Who is it about?


It is about John Mayer.

They first performed together on March 23, 2009 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, where they performed "Your Body is a Wonderland" together during her "Fearless" tour. During that same month John tweeted, "Waking up to this song idea that won't leave my head. 3 days straight now. That means it's good enough to finish. It's called 'Half of My Heart' and I want to sing it with Taylor Swift. She would make a killer 'Nicks' in contrast to my 'Petty' of a song." Taylor was so excited saying, "I freaked out when I heard, because I've been such a big fan of John for such a long time. I'm really excited about just the idea that he would even mention me in his Twitter!" They teamed up and recorded "Half of My Heart" together. They dated from late 2009 to early 2010, after Taylor broke up with Taylor Launter. It could have gotten over early as the end of January or the beginning of February.

While dating him, she told Rolling Stone magazine in January 2010, "I'm always going to love Keith Urban, I'm always going to love John Mayer. I'm always going to love people like that, who I feel are truly authentic, and that's not to say that my music will ever sound like theirs, but I'm inspired by people who I feel know exactly who they are, and that inspires me to continue to figure out and inform who I am as an artist."

But Taylor knew she shouldn't date him. Her "mother accused me of losing my mind". Everyone was told her to, "run as fast as you can." John was flighty and led her on big time, "And I lived in your chess game/But you changed the rules everyday/Wonderin’ which version of you I might get on the phone, tonight". He liked to "keep the lines blurry."

She delivers a major blow to him in the song, "Or maybe it’s you and your sick need/To give love and take it away". He does seem to be all about the chase and once he gets the girl, he dumps her really fast. Taylor says that "you'll add my name to your long list of traitors who don't understand/All the girls that you run dry have tired lifeless eyes/Cause you burned them out." John has dated a lot of women including Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston and hurt them really bad too. He doesn't say the nicest things about them when he breaks up with them.

Click here for lyrics to the song, "Dear John".

John responded to the song, but I think it's all malarkey, he totally deserved it because he is such a jerk! He can dish it out, but can not take it AT ALL. It will be in small print also because that is what I think of his words.

John Mayer told Rolling Stone in 2012, "It made me feel terrible, Because I didn't deserve it. I'm pretty good at taking accountability now, and I never did anything to deserve that. It was a really lousy thing for her to do. I never got an e-mail. I never got a phone call, I was really caught off-guard, and it really humiliated me at a time when I’d already been dressed down. I mean, how would you feel if, at the lowest you’ve ever been, someone kicked you even lower?” When asked about the song's line, “Don’t you think I was too young to be messed with?” Mayer says, “I don’t want to go into that.”

"I will say as a songwriter that I think it's kind of cheap songwriting, I know she's the biggest thing in the world, and I'm not trying to sink anybody's ship, but I think it's abusing your talent to rub your hands together and go, 'Wait till he gets a load of this!' That's bulls...."

Taylor responded in an interview with Cynthia McFadden in October 2012 when asked about John Mayer's response to the song, "How presumptuous! I never disclose who my songs are about."

I have a feeling some recent songs are about him, and more in her "Red" album coming out on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...