Tuesday, March 5, 2013

"Mary's Song (Oh My My)" Song Meaning

Today's Taylor Swift song is the meaning of "Mary's Song (Oh My My)" from her Taylor Swift album.

Who is this song about?


It is about Taylor's neighbors in Nashville, Tennessee who she saw all the time and were a great example of a good relationship and marriage. In the song she starts out when the couple was just seven and nine.  Their "daddies used to joke about the two of us/Growing up and falling in love".  Then they got older and the girl was sixteen and their "daddies used to joke about the two of us" but "they never believed we'd really fall in love". The couple stared dating, had some fights, he proposed, they got married, they had babies and suddenly they are eighty seven and eighty-nine. After each verse the line "oh my my my" is repeated to symbolize the relationship.  Oh my my my, it is quite an achievement to be together like that for so long.

Click here for lyrics to the song, "Mary's Song (Oh My My)"

Taylor said on her website, "I wrote this song about a couple who lived next door to us. They'd been married forever and they came over one night for dinner, and were just so cute. They were talking about how they fell in love and got married, and how they met when they were just little kids. I thought it was so sweet, because you can go to the grocery store and read the tabloids, and see who's breaking up and cheating on each other (or just listen to some of my songs, haha). But it was really comforting to know that all I had to do was go home and look next door to see a perfect example of forever."

I hope that Taylor can find love like this some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...