Monday, August 31, 2020

“I Forgot That You Existed” Song Meaning

Today’s Taylor Swift song is “I Forgot That You Existed” from her “Lover” album. 

This song tells the story of a friendship gone bad. A friendship that was everything at one point and then the person “you showed who you are, then one magical night”. Something happened one night to show what truly went down with these friends. 
Photo courtesy of Taylor Swift

Who is this song about? It’s the same person that “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things” from “Reputation” album is about. KARLIE KLOSS. 

Karlie and Taylor were instant friends probably meeting before the Victoria Secret Show in December 2013. They had started talking on Twitter in January 2012 when Taylor said she wanted to bake cookies with her. 
Picture courtesy of Vogue

After that their friendship took off like wild fire. They did EVERYTHING together. They were featured on one another’s instagrams, in magazines together, everything. 

But then in 2016 Taylor had a major “Reputation” episode with Kanye West. Read about it here. It turns out from the lyrics to the song that Karlie was not on team Taylor and dumped her as a friend as soon as this happened. “ Got out some popcorn/As soon as my rep started going down, down, down/
Laughed on the school yard/
As soon as I tripped up and hit the ground, ground, ground“. Karlie watched from a distance and laughed at Taylor. She did not support her. Taylor would have “ stuck around” for Karlie. But Karlie didn’t do the same for her. She went and talked to Scooter Braun about Taylor. She showed who she really was and threw shade at Taylor. 

Who can relate to this? I certainly can. There was a time I bore my soul to a friend only to have her never speak to me again. Turns out she only wanted to know the juicy details and didn’t really care about me. There have been countless others. But know what? I did what Taylor did. “I Forgot That You Existed”. I “thought it’d kill me, but it didn’t”.” What is the best way to do this? Move and and care about people who care about you. “ It isn't love, it isn't hate, it's just indifference.” Just forget the negative people in life. They can stew in anger but by forgetting about toxic people life can move forward and “be so happy and bright”. I think it is SO IMPORTANT to do this. It can be devastating when good friends leave my life, "'Til all of my sunshine was gone, gone, gone." So much truth to this line. When someone leaves my life there is a giant hole, dwelling on it makes it worse.

Taylor was able to find peace and move that friend out of her mind, "And I thought that it would kill me, but it didn't/And it was so nice/So peaceful and quiet". It did not kill her. And the next time that a "friend" leaves her life it will be that much easier. And now she can really enjoy life. Good job Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...