Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Fifteen" Song Meaning

Today's Taylor Swift song is the meaning of "Fifteen" from her "Fearless" album.

This is a very touching song, it talks about freshman year of high school, finding your first love and then they use you and don't love you back.  It makes me cry every time I listen to it.

Who is it about?


It's about Taylor and her best friend Abigail Anderson.

"I wrote this around the story line of my best friend from high school, Abigail. I started everything with the line 'Abigail gave everything she had to a boy who changed his mind' and wrote everything else from that point, almost backwards. I just decided I really wanted to tell that story about our first year of high school because I felt in my freshman year, I grew up more than any year in my life so far."
Taylor Swift and Abigail Anderson
Taylor and Abigail met when she moved to Tennessee and started attending Hendersonville High School. "You sit in class next to a redhead named Abigail/And soon enough you're best friends/Laughing at the other girls who think they're so cool/We'll be out of here as soon as we can."

During the year they both dated older guys.  Taylor realized that she had bigger dreams, "When all you wanted was to be wanted/Wish you could go back and tell yourself what you know now/Back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday/But I realized some bigger dreams of mine." "But Abigail gave everything she had to a boy/Who changed his mind/'cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you they love you/You're gonna believe them."


This song touches on a very important subject. Girls want to be loved when they are that age. But if a guy is telling you he loves you, but you need prove that you love him by doing things with him, he doesn't really love you. You don't know that when you are fifteen, you only feel the pressure from him and want to be loved so badly.  I had friends who gave things away when they were young because of this reason.  They found someone to love them, felt the pressure, gave in, and regretted it like Abigail.

Taylor and Abigail talk about the personal nature of the song and the hope that it will help other's who are fifteen and going through the same thing in the "On the Set Behind the Scenes 'Fifteen' ".

Taylor: "My song fifteen is about my freshman year in high school, things that I wish had been said to me in a song. I remember when I first played the song for Abigail I was really nervous because I didn't know if she would be okay with me telling her story like that. It's really a personal song especially from her angle."

Abigail "People always ask me, 'Does it bother you that your name is in a song that's so personal?' And it really doesn't just because of the way Taylor and I feel about it. If one girl can kind of learn from it or connect to a song like that, it's totally worth it."

Taylor: "Half of it is reminiscing what I went through, but half of it is really sort of cautionary to people going into their freshman year of high school and walking through the doors."

I hope that young girls will realize that they do not need to give everything to their boyfriends and will learn from Abigail's story.

1 comment:

  1. It's such a true story it's not things you give away only one thing is wanted and that is a girls precious virginity the only thing worth everything I tell young girls when they let a boy grope them once it's gone you will never get it back plus look at the guy and ask your self do u want him to be a permanent memory

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...